If you're looking for THE perfect gift this holiday season, the LeapTV is where it's at. Our family was given the opportunity to test this gaming system out, and today I'll be sharing our experience with you.
First off, I must tell y'all that this is, by far, our most favorite LeapFrog release yet! And that's saying a lot because we REALLY love their products 'round these parts. I'm excited to share all of the things I feel are truly unique about this gaming device targeted at children ages 3-8. So, let's get to it, eh?
Things We Like:
- Superior Quality — nice, clean graphics, easy to use interface (far easier that other gaming systems we own), doesn't feel like they took any shortcuts, and doesn't feel cheaply made.
- Age Appropriate Content — all of the content is geared towards kids from preschool to about 3rd grade (3-8 years). Our 4 year old learns new math, reading, science and life skills with each play, while our first grader (6 years) is learning new stuff and reinforcing things he's being taught in school.
- Built-in-Camera — included is a built-in-camera that actually puts your child into the game. Nico and Lola love getting to grab coins, karate chop wooden targets, etc.
- Familiarity — if your kids have used LeapFrog products before, this will feel familiar, but still a totally new experience.
- Adjustable Difficulty Level — uses a system to increase/decrease the level of difficulty for educational material in the games, which can be configured when you first turn on the system. Can also be adjusted for multiple users.
- Motion Controllers — controllers can be used for both pointer control (use them as a pointer to twist, turn and move) and body motion (to control on-screen action and put themselves in the game).
- TV Mount for Camera — comes with a mount that will easily bind the camera to the top of your TV, making it easy to find a position that works for everyone.
- Ultimate Spiderman — plays like a regular video game that allows you to fight villains, robots, etc., but takes advantage of the opportunities throughout the game to have kids answer educated questions. Definitely a favorite amongst my kiddos, because it's configured the most like a "big kid" game (just make sure the camera is facing you the correct way or you may have trouble aiming accurately).
- Dance & Learn — there are a TON of activities that will keep your kids dancing and grooving, whilst also improving math + word skills. Also, just a super FUN game.
- Kart Racing: Supercharged! — it feels similar to another racing game we own, but better because learning! It's a multiplayer game that you can choose to start with joy stick or motion control. Before each race begins, each player is given 3 questions according to their set skill level that if they answer correctly will give them a boost during the race. Incentive!
I honestly don't have a single negative thing to write about the LeapTV! The fact that they managed to pull off a gaming system that is both fun PLUS teaches you all the things? Well done, LeapFrog, well done! If you're considering taking the leap (get it?) into the gaming system world for kids, the LeapTV (now available in stores) is the way to go!
Disclosure: LeapFrog sent us this product to review free of charge, but I was not compensated in any other way for this post. As always, all opinions expressed here are my own.