Last night for dinner, I made a light version of zucchini ziti. In where else? The crock-pot, of course! If you're craving carbs, but don't wanna pack on the pounds, then this recipe's for you. At just 6 points per serving, this may very well be my new go to pasta!
- 1 jar marinara sauce (no sugar added)
- 3 cups whole-wheat penne shells (dry)
- 2 cups fat free cottage cheese
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella, shredded
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 2 tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese, 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella, oregano, basil and black pepper.
- Next, spoon 1/4 of marinara sauce onto the bottom of the Crock-Pot. Then add 1 cup pasta shells (placing them 1/4 inch from the sides of the Crock-Pot to prevent burning), 1/3 of zucchini slices and top with 1/3 of cheese mixture. Repeat until you have three layers. Top with remaining marinara and 1/2 cup of mozzarella.
- Cover and cook on low for approximately 2 hours, or until pasta is al dente (firm but not hard).
- Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
We paired this with a romaine salad, but it would also be good with a chicken breast and/or a side of veggies.